Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekend wanderings


The weekend at last! Somehow this week seemed to take forever, but I'm hoping for a pleasant weekend. It's started out well: the guys are out at a Boy Scout activity, so I took our daughter and went garage-saling. We do that every couple months or so, just us girls, just for fun. We're not "on the hunt" for anything in particular, and it's unusual for us to spend more than $5 or so altogether. It's just fun to look for little treasures. Today our daughter got a new Beanie Baby hedgehog, and a book. I picked up a few small things, like a brand new tabletop display stand for a large plate, and a brand new large Yankee jar candle for $3. Ah, small pleasures. The small 'Far Side' book is a bonus we'll all enjoy.

No gardening today. We had some rain last night, and a spectacular lightning storm. Mostly I want a break; I almost made myself sick by mowing yesterday evening, and not taking a break when I should have. Live and learn, I hope - that wasn't pleasant at all.

Today we're going out for our anniversary - with the kids, since we couldn't find a sitter. We're going to the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, to see their Fantasies and Fairy-Tales:
Maxfield Parrish and the Art of the Print
exhibit. Afterward, there's a pizza place we've been wanting to try, so we'll go there. They do all sorts of fancy pies, so I'll be sure to try something unusual.

Tonight I can't decide if I want to work on my quilt (a project that's 1 1/2 years old now; I'm down to the hand-quilting part), or on another art project. It was my turn for a Netflix video this week, so I've got "Journey: Live In Houston 1981" to enjoy. I don't know if anyone else will like it, but *I* will, lol. Maybe I'll be a rebel and turn it up loud. I like to do that, when I go for a drive by myself, for some mental space (and to listen to a whole song without any interruptions is a real luxury - I can't seem to impress on my kids that once in a while I like to LISTEN to the MUSIC). I like lots of styles of music, so you never know what will be streaming out behind me in the sonic wind: Journey, Ella Fitzgerald, White Heart, The Doobies, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Petra, Glad, Big Band swing, Genesis/Phil Collins - it's enough to give most people musical whiplash if they're around me long enough.

It's quiet in the house - the guys are still out, and our daughter is at a friend's. I don't normally get this much uninterrupted space - what a treat! Thank you, Lord, for the small blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment