Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Digging out from under it all


Where did all this CRAP come from?! Honestly, it seems like every couple months I have to go through the house and pitch/put away/donate all sorts of stuff. It accumulates so FAST, and most of it is not worth having around.

I've gotten a lot more ruthless over the years about getting rid of stuff. I'm not the minimalist my husband is more likely to be if left to his own devices, but neither am I a candidate for one of those sad shows about hoarding, or "Clean Sweep." I have my boundaries, and they're relatively tidy, but with stacks of stuff around the margins. I'm a piler, not a filer, and every so often I have to go knock the piles down to size. Which sometimes feels more like tilting at windmills - but I persist.

I have two reasons for decluttering this week: we're planning to paint the "dining room" (office, actually) soon, and I'm having a Pampered Chef party this Friday. Those are two really good excuses, hovering right over me and getting closer every hour. So I'm listing used home school materials on eBay, throwing out papers and miscellaneous junk we don't need, and sorting stuff into piles of "keep out," "box and keep," and "give away." (Darn, darn, darn, I just remembered that I meant to pick up boxes while I was out this morning. Phooey. Oh, well, what's another errand?)

I know, this post has nothing to do with gardening, or art, but it sure is a part of life - my life, at least. And I'm hoping that the decluttering will give me more time and focus for my art and my gardening, so I guess it's all connected. I really want to be able to spend more time creating, and less time cleaning.

Wish me luck! And prayer wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment