Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Album is Dead


The record album, that is.  I think I may be the last person owning internet access to realize this, but I finally "got it" last night.  You see, I love music, and always have.  I'm not a musician; I just enjoy music, in many genres and from many eras.  Growing up in the 70s and 80s, albums were just a part of life, and I had my favorite artists just like anyone.  Back before CDs, records and tapes were IT, and you had to listen through them from beginning to end, unless you took the trouble to make your own mix tapes (which I also did, and recorded stuff from the radio so I didn't have to buy a whole album just to get a song or two I liked).  Life with music just isn't like that any more.  The age of CDs, MP3 players, iPods, personalized internet radio, and Pandora has made the album all but irrelevant.

I realized all this last night, when I bought myself a copy of Journey's album "Escape" and listened to it from start to finish in the car on the way home from my sister-in-law's.  I was alone in the car (not a normal occurrence for me, to be child-free), so I wasn't interrupted.  I love Journey's music, but I've been listening to it on compilation CDs and YouTube, where I can pick/choose whatever I want.  To listen to the whole original album, in the sequence it was intended to be listened to, was wonderful, and helped me appreciate the music and musicians even more.  Kids these days (LOL!) may not know what they're missing, with their 4 minute sound-bite attention spans, and ability to have everything instantly, digitally at their fingertips.

I think I'm getting old. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment