Monday, August 9, 2010

Feeling blah


I think I might need some girlfriend time, just to talk out some blahs. And I've got to start walking again. I let my fitness routine slip the past couple months, and I can really tell the difference. I've just taken a long-distance friend up on her request for someone to help her reach a weight loss/fitness goal - we can be moral support for each other. I have quite a lot more to lose than she does, but any progress I make is good in the long run.

I don't like taking the kids with me to the Y. When they had gym/swim, they were occupied for a couple hours, and I could exercise at my own pace on a regular schedule. But the kids are getting too old to stay in the Y's free child care, and frankly taking them along is a bit of a drag. When they go back to school, I hope to get to the Y a few times each week to exercise. I really want to improve my health, which has been a lifelong struggle for me. Weight issues SUCK, but I'm the only one who can do anything about it. I made good progress through the spring, but I feel like I'm back at square one. The kids have agreed to walk with me during the weeks before school starts, so I can start to set some new good habits for myself (and maybe even for them).

We're getting some lovely, steady rain this evening. I hope we get some cooler, less humid weather for a few days soon, so I can take a run at some yard work that's been nagging at me. I need to finish the last of the mulching in the beds I dug out around the back of the house last fall. Right now they're a total weed-fest. I've got cardboard to smother the weeds I don't pull, so I just need to get a half dozen or eight bags of mulch. I don't like doing yard work when it's muggy-buggy, so I've put it off. My husband, bless him, has been a yard-work madman: after solarizing the worst part of the back yard for the past month, he borrowed a friend's tiller and has tilled in the dead moss/grass/weed mess over the past two evenings. We're going to add composted horse manure from our friend's stable, and powdered lime, till that in, then reseed the whole back lawn with better grass. By next year we should have a MUCH nicer back lawn.

The cat in the photo is my Sophia. She's almost 14 now, and showing her age with some behavior issues. But she's my Foof Cat, and I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment