Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gardening and Voting

I'm sitting home this morning, waiting for the delivery of 8 yards of topsoil, to be used to renovate part of our back yard lawn.  I'll be swiping part of it to build up a couple small beds too.  The truck should be here soon, so while I've been waiting I've also done some garden work out front.  Last fall I planted some ornamental goldenrod - I'd heard good things about it, and seen photos of some lovely landscapes using it.  I was hoping for a nice, bushy, golden, late summer accent at the front of the house.


Well, the goldenrod was a total disappointment.  When it bloomed, it wasn't a nice gold color at all, but a washed out lemon yellow.  Half the plants flopped over after their first rain during bloom.  As the blooms faded their color turned to blotchy cream and brown, and all of them mildewed by mid August. Yuck!  So, today they're out of there.  In their place I planted some autumn-hued mums, in shades ranging from deep gold through bronze to brick red.  I hope they'll be perennial (you just can't tell with mums), and be the colorful late summer/fall mass I'm looking for.  I haven't decided what to do with the evicted goldenrod.  The frugal gardener in me doesn't want to waste them.  The garden designer in me doesn't want them anywhere in the yard.  I think I'll compromise and put them in the back flower bed, where I don't have to see them close up and they can make the best of their new lease on life in that semi-wild area.


I've also spent some time on the computer checking out candidates for various offices.  It's Primary Day in New York, and it's an important one since we'll be electing a new governor in November, as well as a U.S. senator, State senator, U.S. Representative, and State Assembly member.  Here's my plug for the day:  if you're registered to vote, and your state or town is having a primary election, GO VOTE, whether it's for a small local office or governor of your entire state.  No matter what your political affiliation, you have the right and responsibility as a U. S. citizen to have a say in your elected government.  It's worth the time to look into the candidates and make an informed choice.  As I tell people, if you don't vote, you have no right at all to complain about (or to) elected officials.


 It occurs to me that when you vote and when you garden, you end up pulling weeds either way.  Of course, a weed is generally in the eye of the beholder, just as politics is always up for debate.  Still, if there's NO oversight, the garden devolves to wilderness, and politics to an oppressive jungle.  So, get weeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment