Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mental Space and Chili

I did something really unusual (for me) today: I took a nap. After everyone else went off to school and work, I puttered around for a little while, then crawled back into bed. I've just felt drained lately, ragged around the edges, and not sleeping well (partly related to family stuff, and partly related to seasonal allergies). After several days of feeling like reheated poo, I decided the best thing I could do was just go back to bed. I had some nice, deep, dreamless sleep, and felt much better when I got up, so it was well worth it.

I can't say I was a busy bee after I got up, but I did ramble around tidying stuff, washed some windows, did some pet chores, and moved a bit of topsoil into the back yard. I also spent some time talking to my Mom on the phone, probably the most unguarded conversation I've had with her in a long time. It was good to talk to her, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her and my Dad and my sister Tracey on Friday for lunch.

I made chili today, one of my favorite cool-weather comfort foods. Fresh, hot chili with sharp cheddar, sour cream, and tortilla chips - divine! Sometimes I make it with ground beef, sometimes I go vegan with it, but it's good both ways. Today I made it with ground beef.

Our son had some serious anxiety about going to school this morning. He really did not want to go, and was able to verbalize that it was because he didn't like the "pressure" of having a new schedule and harder work. He had some anxiety in school yesterday and went to the nurse's office for a little while because he said he felt nauseated, but he wasn't sick. Today he pulled the "I'm going to throw up" card on me, and I didn't feed into it - I simply told him that if he had a fever he could stay home, and that if he had the flu he could stay home, but having an upset stomach from nerves would not allow him to stay home. He calmed down, and made it to school, but I called the nurse before he got there to let her know he was anxious and might be seeing her again. She was so nice, and she said she knew he wasn't sick yesterday, and she asked me for ways to help him calm down if she did need to see him again. She was so helpful - I am really, really pleased with how the teachers and support personnel at school are working with him. I'm sure things will smooth out as he gets to know them, and they get to know him. Today went much better for him once he got to school, and he earned some extra video time at home by doing his homework in a timely fashion with a good attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment