Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Indian Summer


It may not be politically correct to call it that any more, but just saying "Indian Summer" is evocative of one of these special mid-autumn days, crystal clear and deliciously warm, and colored with the purest sky blue and all the golds, browns, ambers and russets of the season.  I love days like this.  I hope heaven has days like this.

I enjoyed a walk today, because it was too nice to stay inside in spite of the household chores needing my attention.  I luxuriated in the sunshine and warm breeze, and picked a big handful of red clover along the way for our guinea pigs.  I admired my yard handiwork from yesterday (the new shrubs), and resisted the urge to go out and buy a few dozen more tulip bulbs.  (I still might give in to that urge tomorrow, lol.)



Back indoors, I did the usual chores (find the kitchen counters, run the dishwasher, schlep laundry around, tidy up stuff).  Then I tackled the looming mountain:  cleaning our daughter's bedroom.  I had warned her before she went to school that I was going to do that, since she had fluffed off on several requests and opportunities to start the process earlier this week.  So, I told her that she had no right to complain about how I cleaned or rearranged stuff, if she wasn't willing to take care of it herself like a big girl.  I don't tend to get overly fussy about her room, and usually she's willing to tidy up herself, but sometimes every kid needs a helping hand to do a deep cleaning when things get out of hand.  Quite a while later (I weeded out books she'd lost interest in, bagged up clothes she'd outgrown, put away books and toys, switched where her dresser and desk are, vacuumed, and generated a whole garbage bag full of stray papers and junk), she had a nice clean room.  Tomorrow I'll tackle our son's room - same situation, same solution.  (Although I have to give him credit for keeping it much cleaner than he used to - he is getting better about that.)

3 comments:

  1. I still have days where I think, wouldn't it be nice if my Mom would show up and clean for me if I just refused to do it myself??? lol Ahhhh, to be a kid again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Blondee, I sometimes wish that too. I'm trying to be less draconian with our daughter about the cleaning issue than my Mom was with me. Harsh words and put-downs didn't make me any neater. There has to be a happy medium somewhere. And although I was a messy child, I'm not a housekeeping disaster as an adult, so there's hope for my girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a total slob when I was a kid. I think it's part of being a kid for most. lol I agree, no amount of 'shaming' or nasty comments changed that for me, either. I remember one time, I was about 8 or 9, and my aunt came to visit. It was Christmas, so of course all the new clothes and toys were just thrown into my room. My parents told my aunt to go and 'see how I lived', and took her into my room. They thought they would embarrass me and make me clean my room. Of course my bed was unmade from getting up at the crack of dawn, and nothing was where it should have been. My sweet aunt went down the hall and smiled and said 'If that room didn't look that way, THEN I'd be worried about her.' To this day, she's my favorite aunt! lol

    ReplyDelete