Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nature Walk

The Great Swamp Conservancy, Canastota, NY


I was going to walk along the Erie Canal today, but I changed my mind at the last minute, and went to the Great Swamp Conservancy instead.  It's peaceful there, with a lot of trails.  I've been there for Boy Scout and Girl Scout activities, but I haven't explored it much on my own, so it was like a little adventure to head off into the unknown with my camera this morning.


Seeing all the asters and goldenrod gone to seed, I wish I'd been here a few weeks ago when they were in full bloom.  There are still some hardy stragglers blooming here and there, asters in shades of violet, lavender, and light blue.  I caught a bee on this one, getting its last few tastes of nectar before winter sets in.

 
I'm attracted to fine details, reflections, silhouettes and tricks of light - trees against the sky, reflections on water, light shining through leaves, and the tiny details of flowers and seeds.  I find nature endlessly fascinating, and the most common things can possess the most uncommon beauty.

The boardwalk that winds through part of the swamp was great fun to explore.   I had to consciously remind myself to be mindful of the edges, so I didn't step off in my quest for a particular shot.  (Splash!  Gloop!  Frogs and turtles looking at me covered in mud. . . .


I love the patterning on this fern frond - it looks like an abstract painting of itself.  I am constantly amazed at the graphic quality of the patterns and colors in nature.  The contrasts, the symmetries, the starkness, the colors, the simultaneous fragility and solidity of life in all its forms - amazing.  There's no other word for it.  I can't imagine there NOT being a Creator behind this stunning beauty and complexity.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."
Romans 1:20









3 comments:

  1. beautiful....
    you should read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek with us in December, it's Annie Dillard's "journal" (albeit, Pulitzer-prize winning) of her woodsy hikes, like the one you share with us today

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great book - I'll have to see if I can find it. (I can add it to the pile of books I'm working through on my night stand - but hey, the more the merrier, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharin' your blog. It is like I took the walk with you. :)

    ReplyDelete