Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Frosted Flake

At last, we had a good, hard frost last night!  I've been waiting for this, for a couple reasons.  One is that I want all the mold spores and pollen to DIE.  It's been a rough fall for my allergies.  The other is that I wanted to get out and take pictures on a frosty morning.  Today I finally got my chance, so here's a garden tour for a chilly morning.

My daughter's strawberry plants looked like they'd been dipped in crystallized sugar this morning.  They're everbearing, so the last couple berries ripened just last week.  They were new this year, and she still had several tasty handfuls of berries to enjoy late in the summer.  Hopefully next year she'll get enough for a special dessert.



Small bellflowers (sorry, I can't remember which Campanula variety they are), lit by the sun.  I honestly thought these would never bloom - I planted them a year and a half ago, and they did nothing but make a small clump of pretty leaves.  A few weeks ago they surprised me by putting out buds.  Success!






Oriental poppy 'Brilliant,' whose foliage is quite hairy and catches the frost quite attractively.  I winter sowed them early this year, so they'll bloom next year.  I'm really looking forward to their bright scarlet-orange blooms.





It's curtains for the cosmos with this frost, but the last few flowers look like sugared cake decorations.









I'm amazed at how strongly the blanket flowers (Gaillardia) I winter sowed have done.  Once they got going, they bloomed nonstop.  Here's a seed head and an opening blossom.





The last dogwood leaves - I barely brushed the tree this morning, and the leaves fell off by the handful.  I love their intense red color, especially backlit by the sun.  I hope this little tree thrives in its exposed location. 








This dusty miller is one of the few plants that came with the house, in the scruffy half-wild "border" bed along the drainage swale out back.  Its newer foliage is so white, you can hardly tell where the frost is.







The last rose of the year, 'Peace,' beautiful even as the frost brings an end to the bloom season.

1 comment: