Friday, January 21, 2011

Cold Weather Comfort Food: Kona Banana Cake

My Mom has been making this cake for years and years, since I was about 10.  It's hands-down the best banana cake recipe I've ever had, so good that I haven't tweaked the recipe at all (and anyone who knows how I cook knows that I can never leave a recipe un-played-with).  This cake is dense and rich.  It doesn't need frosting to be delicious (my kids love it plain), but cream cheese frosting is totally amazing on it if you want to go for over-the-top awesomeness.


Kona Banana Cake

1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 medium ripe bananas
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs until light.  Add the bananas and the vanilla and blend well.  Add the dry ingredients (except the nuts) and mix until evenly moistened - batter will be thick.  Stir in the nuts.  Spread the batter in a greased and floured 9"x13"x2" cake pan.  Bake for 45 minutes (until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean).  The center of the cake may be slightly concave once it cools, especially if you don't use the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment