Wednesday, January 26, 2011

That four-letter word - DIET



I really, really dislike the word "diet."  It's a four letter word to me.  It's a short-term crash-course fix for a long-term problem, addressing the surface issues and leaving the root of the problem unchanged.  And, as Garfield famously said, "Diet is just DIE with a T." 

Anyhow, I need to lose some weight.  A lot of weight.  I need to for my health first of all, but looking and feeling better would be a great side effect.  After doing a lot of thinking about what has worked and not worked for me in the past, after thinking about what I'm willing to put into my body, and after a bit of reading, I've decided to pursue a sensible, lower-carb, low-sodium, high-protein, high-fiber diet.  I guess you'd call it Atkins Lite, since I won't be strictly following the Atkins plan and going as carb-free as possible initially.  I think this way I can live with the changes to my diet, and along the way I'll integrate reasonable and increasing amounts of exercise into my weeks.


This isn't my first time around the diet Mobius strip.  I've struggled with my weight since grade school.  I've done Weight Watchers at least 5 times in my life, twice with great success (in my teens and again in my early 30s), and three other times with no success at all.  (Counting points is a pain, and I don't want to do that any more.)  I tried Slim Fast once, and couldn't stand it.  I don't want to pay big bucks for a plan that sends me prepackaged or frozen food with enough additives and preservatives to embalm me while alive.  I've realized that my major food issues center around carbohydrates, and I need to break that cycle.  I need to do something low sodium, too.  I've decided that I want to enjoy real food in moderate amounts, not fake food from a can, packet, or little frozen box.

A little encouragement and friendly accountability is worth more than all the books and way-in-the-future incentives in the world to me.  If you want to ask me the occasional question about my food and exercise choices and my progress, it would be welcome, if you happen to think of me and my journey.  So, here I go.  Wish me luck!  And, better yet, please pray for me to have perseverance, because I don't expect this to be a quick fix, but a long, long walk.  Once a week I'll try to post a little progress report, but I don't want this to be the focus of my blog - just part of the journey.

1 comment:

  1. YOU can do it.

    You CAN do it.

    You can DO it.

    You can do IT!

    ReplyDelete