Saturday, February 26, 2011

Holy Gigglefest, Batman!

Winter 2006 - a dolly with her dollies.  
Where did the time go?

I was brave, or maybe foolhardy, and probably both, but today our daughter had six friends over for a birthday party.  Such giggling and chattering and excitement!  I'm not big on doing birthday parties for our kids; I never have been, although we've had our share. I even managed to do the last couple outside the house (my ideal solution).  I had originally told Princess Yakyak that she could have just a few friends over for something simple.  Hah, that didn't work out like I'd planned at all.  Hosting it outside the house didn't work this time, since I didn't want to spend that much money.  (I don't think I succeeded in saving any money, though, between the craft, the goodie bags, the pizza and the prizes.)   I didn't manage to keep the numbers down, either.  There were a handful of really good friends that she wanted to include, and we couldn't really leave anyone out without hurt feelings.  So, we went with it and made the best of it.

 Almost six years ago.

She helped me plan the day, with a fun craft activity (painting little model horses), pizza (from her favorite pizza place), a decorate-your-own-giant-cupcake contest (with all sorts of candies for decorating, and prizes), finished off with presents and play time, and a goodie bag for each guest.  All the girls seemed to have fun, I didn't see or hear any drama, everyone left with smiles and thank yous, and I guess you can't ask for any better than that.

I'd like nothing better than to just collapse into bed and do NOTHING tomorrow, but the marathon continues.  Tomorrow is my husband's family's big multi-generational birthday bash, our way of handling five birthdays in seven weeks.  This year, it's at our place.  It's always good to see everyone, and we don't often get to host parties since we're off the beaten path (that is, we don't live near most of his family), so it'll be a real treat to see everyone up here this year.  The house is mostly still clean in spite of the girly invasion we just survived, so we'll keep on going with the party thing this weekend.  A little cleaning around the edges, a quick swipe with the vacuum, a fresh tablecloth, my husband is picking up a cheesecake dessert platter tonight, I'll make homemade chicken soup in the morning, and we're good to go again.

But, ah!  Monday!  I am really looking forward to Monday, when my husband goes to work, and the kids get on the magic yellow carpet (school bus), and quiet descends on the house in the wake of winter recess and too much birthday.   Ahhh, I can hardly wait. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment