Friday, February 11, 2011

Mom's New Groove


If you have kids, no doubt you've heard of the book, "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."  (If you haven't, it's a classic - everyone of all ages should read it at least once a month, because days like that happen to everyone with about that frequency.)  My daughter is having a day like Alexander's, both yesterday and today.  Yesterday after school she got a mouthpiece put in by the orthodontist to expand her palate (which means no gum, no caramel, no fun gooey foods for over a year, and now her mouth aches), and early this morning she woke up with the flu.  The barfing kind.  (Barfing + dental mouthpiece = grossness multiplied x10.)  Which means her sleepover tonight with her friend has had to be canceled.  She's definitely having one of those days, for two days running.  Right now she's asleep on the couch, with "The Emperor's New Groove" running in the background.  Well, actually the menu music on the DVD is playing ad nauseum, since she slept through half the movie and it's over, but I don't want to wake her up by changing the background noise when I turn off the movie.  So I've been listening to those tunes for quite a while now.

I know the critics panned "The Emperor's New Groove," but I really like it.  It's funny and quirky, and full of great catch phrases and awesome voices.  What's not to like about David Spade voicing Kuzco, the spoiled-brat-Inca-emperor-turned-fugitive-llama, and Eartha Kitt as the scheming sorceress/royal adviser who turned him into a llama in the first place, or John Goodman as Pacha the llama herder who helps Kuzco regain his throne (and learn to be a nicer human in the end)?  I think I could learn something from this movie this week.  Like, I'm not the center of the universe, so get over myself.  And, stop moping just because I've got the winter blues and cabin fever and my daughter is sick and the cats keep leaving hairballs where I'll step on them.  Or, get out and do something for someone else so I'm not focused on my own navel.  I need a bit of an attitude transplant, and maybe a talking llama, an honest herdsman, and a scary-beyond-all-reason sorceress with the attitude and voice of  the Catwoman can push me over the edge to living my life with enthusiasm and fun again.


[Kuzco the emperor/llama and Pacha the herder are tied to a tree branch floating in a river]
Pacha: [facing downriver]  Uh-oh.
Kuzco: [facing upriver]  Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall.
Pacha: Yep.
Kuzco: Sharp rocks at the bottom?
Pacha: Most likely.
Kuzco: Bring it on. 
 Nowhere near as impressive as the waterfall Pacha and Kuzco went over, 
but you get the idea.

P.S.  To top off the day (and it's not even lunch time yet), my husband just called, and he had a flat tire on the way to work this morning.  We had to laugh - sometimes life is just ridiculous and you have to roll with it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry to hear you are having so much 'excitement' all at once. I hope that the little lady is feeling better. Talk about a double whammy!

    ReplyDelete