Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Waiting for Snow, Thinking of Flowers


Gotta love weather forecasters.  They get so EXCITED when the weather gets bad.  They live for nasty atmospheric conditions, get gleeful when the barometer plunges, and wax poetic over the impending chaos sure to be meted out by the ongoing big weather event.

Personally, I think they're over-hyping the storm for the northeast.  I'd be much more worried if I lived a bit farther south and were under the gun for the freezing mix part of the storm.  Where we are we'll see just snow, and probably a pretty good amount of it.  But, since our area is already at 116+ inches of the white stuff for the year, what's a little more snow?  Why not go for the record for most snow in a single season?  (The record for Syracuse was 192.1 inches for the winter of 1992-93.)

I worry the most about my husband driving to and from work in bad weather.  He has almost a half hour commute in good weather.  Last week one snowy day turned his evening commute into an hour and a quarter slippery slog.  I think I'd feel better if he had a better car (and I think I might suggest we switch cars in the morning so he can take the SUV, as we've been told to expect up to 12" of snow tomorrow).  A new car for him just isn't in the budget until I'm back at work.

While the snow flies, I can't help but think of my garden.  It sleeps now under a thick white blanket, but I'm looking forward to good things from it this year.  In anticipation of that, I began winter sowing a couple weeks ago.  I'll put my list of plants sown so far here on my blog so I can't lose it if (when) my paper copy goes MIA during housecleaning/general real-life craziness.

Sown 1/15/2011:
Daylily 'Country Bouquet' x unknown
Daylily 'Totally Southern' x unknown
Verbascum bombicyferum (a tall mullein, like a silver candelabra with golden flowers)
Dictamnus albus 'purpureus' (gas plant)
Papaver somniferum (opium poppy, heirloom - no, I have no plans to make my own pharmaceuticals!)
Papaver orienale 'Princess Victoria Louise' (oriental poppy)

Sown 1/16/2011
Snapdragon 'Tower White' (open pollinated seed saved from 2010)
Siberian iris 'Tropic Night' (open pollinated seed from 2010)
Phlox 'Summer Showers'
Artemisa annua (Sweet Annie - wonderfully fragrant, everlasting)
Phlox 'Coral Reef'
Cosmos 'Rubenza'
Cosmos 'Talina'
Escholzia californica (California poppy)
Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' (old saved seed from our last house - not sure if it will germinate)


Sown 1/29/2011
Aquilegia canadensis (wild Canadian columbine)
Daylily 'Angel Chiffon' x 'Neptune's Legacy'
Daylily 'Sherry Lane Carr' x 'Neptune's Legacy'
Gloriosa daisy 'Cappuccino'
Aquilegia 'William Guiness' (columbine)
Reseda odorata (Mignonette 'Machet')
Nepeta cataria (catnip)
Amaranth 'Hot Biscuits'
Onions (yellow 'Spanish Gold Hybrid')
Lavender 'Munstead' (open pollinated seed from 2010)

1 comment: