Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

Yesterday was sunny and spring-y, and I just couldn't let that opportunity go begging, so I posted gardening-related goodies on my blog.  Today is gray, cold, and drizzly - the perfect day to finally share my recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.  Weather like this just seems to call for firing up the oven and baking comfort food.  Sadly, I'm not baking today (darn that healthy eating thing), but I still want to share this recipe with you, since I promised a couple days ago.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup dark or light brown sugar  (I prefer dark brown sugar)
1 cup salted butter, room temp
1/2 cup shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
(1 tsp. cinnamon - I like the combination of a touch of cinnamon with chocolate; if you don't, just omit this)
2 cups rolled oats
3 1/2 cups flour (you can substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for part of the total amount)
1 12-oz. bag miniature chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Combine the butter, shortening, and the sugars in a large mixing bowl.  Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until light.  In a separate bowl combine all of the dry ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips and walnuts.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture.  Mix on low until just combined.  Stir in the chips and walnuts by hand.

You can treat these like drop cookies, using a tablespoon to roughly measure equal blobs onto a regular cookie sheet.  I usually form the dough into 1 1/4"-1 1/2" balls by hand and place them 1 1/2-2" apart (16 to a large cookie sheet).  Either way, the cookies don't spread much.  Bake for 17-18 minutes at 375F.  The cookies should be light golden brown around the edges and just barely starting to get golden on top.  This recipe makes a LOT of cookies, about 5-6 dozen large (2 1/2"-3") ones, or even more small ones.

1 comment: