Monday, April 11, 2011

My Voice, and Carly's Voice


Although I've been blogging for about a year now, I still feel like a real newbie in the blogsphere.  I'm still learning, and still finding my voice.  I don't have a huge number of followers.  In a media world of catch-phrases and sound-bites, labels and pigeon-holing, I don't seem to fit in.  My blog isn't a diary.  It's not focused on a single-topic.  It's not a snarky-funny send up of motherhood, autism, education, or marriage.  I'm not an educator with a mission, a pundit with a soapbox, an artist out to shock or inspire, or a woman on a crusade for one good cause.  Sometimes I'm a little bit of each of these things, but I don't want to focus on one niche in particular.

Blogs are fun, but they can be as one-dimensional or multi-dimensional as the author wants them to be.  My favorite blogs tend to be "slice of life" ones, where the blogger has something to say that resonates with me.  At the moment I'm following a disproportionate number of blogs about families with a child with an autism spectrum disorder.  It's just where I am.  But my interests range so much wider than that, and I hope that the family, friends, acquaintances and strangers that honor me by stopping by to read what I have to say don't mind my lack of a specific topical focus.

My blog is a little bit like a scrapbook, a way to note and share things that catch my eye, inspire me, disturb me, frustrate me, encourage me, anger me, invigorate me.  It's a little bit like a kaleidoscope, giving my readers a fractal view of the many segments of my life.  (If you read long enough you might see a pattern!  Or  come to the conclusion that I'm just a little bit cracked.)  It's a little like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.

Today I'd like to share a video about an amazing young woman.  Diagnosed with severe autism at an early age, nonverbal and with difficult behavioral issues, she was considered to be at least moderately mentally retarded as well as autistic.  Imagine her parents' and therapists' surprise when she started typing on a laptop  without assistance at age 11, and had a lot to say.  Carly now has her own blog - stop by and listen to Carly's Voice, if you have a moment.  You'll never look at a person with autism quite the same way again.



(My sincere thanks to Blondee for sharing this video via FB.)

2 comments:

  1. Ehh, my blog is a mish-mash of this and that...as long as it's cathartic for you....that's all that really counts. :)

    Isn't this just amazing? I cried when I saw this, had to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog to have an outlet to write and process things, I guess. As long as I don't take myself too seriously, I'll be okay, lol.

    Carly is seriously amazing. I love hearing about how people live past their problems or disabilities. It gives me hope for Safety Guy and other kids who aren't ever really going to be what the world expects of them. We NEED their different POV. And it gives me hope to keep doing the things I find important, in my family or in my art.

    ReplyDelete