Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Slow Mo(tivation)

 My first daffodils, heavy with rain this afternoon.

I think I need a vacation.  Or at least a day at a spa.  Maybe a swift kick?  Whatever, I just can't seem to get my behind in gear artistically, and my days seem to go a in slow motion merry-go-round of off-to-school, laundry, errands, cleaning, back-from-school, homework, dinner, kids' bedtime routine, quilting, reading, and bed.  (Somewhere in there a shower usually occurs each day, and the occasional trip for groceries - a highlight of the week.) 

My sweet husband asked me today if I was bored.  He calls me a couple times a day, just to chat for a few minutes, and I really like that.  (Today he referenced Stevie Wonder and said "I just called to say 'I love you!'", and I told him he's the only one who can sing that to me.  It's a sweet song, but it was massively overplayed during my high school years.  Add to it that it's so stinkin' catchy, I'll have it in my head for days - but there are worse things.)

I told him that I'm not exactly bored - I'm just not sure what to DO.  Boredom would be my own silly fault.  There's never any excuse for boredom; there's always something to do.  It's a question of my own motivation and focus, not an external lack of stimulation.  I can't seem to get up any momentum.  I know it's temporary.  I've been through this before.  In a little while I'll get totally jazzed about something, a house project, sewing idea, or piece of art, and I'll be off and running again.  I guess we all need these slower, down times to regroup before moving forward.  I'm not wired to live flat-out busy all the time.  I'm amazed at people who do live that way (but not envious - burnout is not fun).  So I'm trying to ride the wave of life again, enjoying the slower pace of this week, and getting ready for the next push up the hill of life.

Soon enough soccer will start for Princess Yakyak, and math tutoring for Safety Guy.  (That might necessitate some serious schedule and parent juggling, since both events will likely happen at the same time, on the same days, 20 miles apart.  Hmmm. . . . .)  Summer is just around the corner, with activities and Scout camp, gardening and family outings, house projects and all the usual summer and household stuff.  I'm looking forward to it, actually.  So no, I'm not bored - I'm just in slow motion.  I'll pick up speed soon enough.





Oriental poppy foliage - it's so spiky and fuzzy, 
I love the texture.  I can't wait for the blooms, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment