Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Endings and Beginnings


The June Marathon is almost over, and I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not.  Well, okay, I'm relieved that the unrelenting busy-ness is winding down, but I'm not sure I'm ready for summer vacation yet.  The kids are more than ready, of course, but I'm less prepared for the change in routine and the prospect of a summer refereeing between the kids.  My only hope is to keep them busy.  Wait, didn't I just say I was ready to be done with the busy-ness, that it was winding down?  And my only hope to maintain my summer sanity is to inflict it on myself ON PURPOSE just to keep the kids occupied/distracted?  Something doesn't add up here. . . .

Anyhow, we'll have a couple weeks or so of pure summer break, with nothing scheduled before some summer activities start up (a summer enrichment program at the school, Boy Scout camp for Safety Guy, and VBS).  I'll be buying a family membership at the local pool, and I'm sure we'll spend hours and hours there this summer. The end of our kids' first year in public school is a welcome event, and the kids did well.  Our son "graduates" from sixth grade tomorrow, and will officially be in junior high.  (I'm looking at the next couple years with a certain amount of trepidation and concern - this age is rough for most kids, and I'm not sure what to expect from Safety Guy's trip through Junior High Purgatory.)  The end of his grade school years; the beginning of his junior high school years - a bit scary for me, and for him too.  Although he's counting down the years to get his drivers' permit already.

We've had a nice, rainy day today, after a dry stretch.  Everything got a good drink, after an early morning sound and light show that woke everyone up.  The next few days ought to be quite humid, which is not my favorite weather, but the garden will love it.  The daylilies are budding nicely, but the tomatoes and peppers are sulking - they want more heat than we've had.  And, better late than never, I finally planted some containers on my deck with lettuce, basil, cucumbers, and bush beans.  Maybe the moisture plus some heat will jump-start those late summer crops.

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't that chain of thunderstorms this morning magnificent?! I was up at 5 am, sitting on the deck in my horrific 'wooly bully' pink robe with an iced coffee watching the light show. :)

    Hope your summer break doesn't 'break' you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fireworks were impressive. Miss J joined us in bed - it was too close for her comfort. I used to have a fluffy blue robe - it made me look like a big, pale blue Cookie Monster. . . .

    Whatever summer brings, it will still be less structured than a regular school year. That's both good and bad. If I'm gibbering by mid-July, you'll know it's not going well. . . .

    ReplyDelete