Sunday, June 26, 2011

Frozen Lemon, Key Lime, and Almond Joy Pies

My sister-in-law Jennifer made the most wonderful dessert for us a few weeks ago - Frozen Key Lime Pie.  She shared the recipe with me, and since I seem to be constitutionally unable to leave recipes alone, I decided to try to make other flavors of pie based on her recipe (my addition to the Key Lime and Lemon flavors was the sour cream; the Almond Joy was my own invention).  The lemon and lime recipes are essentially identical, with the only difference being the flavor of juice used.

FROZEN LEMON PIE

8 oz. tub non-dairy whipped topping
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
6 oz. lemon juice
two graham cracker pie crusts
extra whipped topping for garnish

Combine the whipped topping, condensed milk, sour cream/yogurt, and lemon juice in a mixer until fluffy.  (You can add a couple drops of yellow food coloring if you want.)  Divide the filling between the pie crusts, cover and freeze.  Before serving, set out for half an hour.  Slice and top with extra whipped topping (optional:  white "chocolate" candy shavings or chips are good on this).  Serves 12.

To make Key Lime Pie, simply use 6 oz. of bottled key lime juice in the above recipe.


Frozen Almond Joy Pie is a bit different.  Here's that recipe, for anyone interested:

Frozen Almond Joy Pie

8 oz. non-dairy whipped topping
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Oreo or other chocolate "graham" pie crusts
1/4 cup toasted almond slices
1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
1/4 cup toasted sweetened coconut
extra whipped topping

Combine the whipped topping, sweetened condensed milk, yogurt/sour cream, coconut milk and vanilla until fluffy.  Divide the filling between the two chocolate pie crusts, cover and freeze.  Set out the pie for half an hour before serving.  Top each pie with some extra whipped topping, and half of the toasted almonds, chocolate chips, and toasted coconut.  Slice and serve.  Serves 12.


I think I'll have more fun with this recipe - I want to try to make Creme de Menthe, and Raspberry, and I'm sure I'll think of others as I go along.  Maybe Mango, or Pina Colada. . . .

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm!! Sounds awesome, I'll have to make it over a bit for us...we don't do the non-dairy whipped topping. Sounds yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you could substitute real whipped cream if you wanted too. Personally, I'm not big on non-dairy whipped topping either. But in this recipe, it's convenient and works well.

    ReplyDelete