Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Broccoli-Bacon-Cheddar Salad

This recipe originally came from my good friend Jeanne.  It's a classic cold summer salad, perfect for picnics, potlucks and barbecues.  I've seen variations of this dish that include raisins or dried cranberries (which I really like), but many people don't care for those, so they're not in this recipe.  I usually make it the night before I want to have it, although you could easily make it the same day.



Jeanne B.'s Broccoli-Bacon-Cheddar Salad

7-8 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. low-sodium bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 cups light mayonnaise
1 cup sugar
8 tbsp. cider vinegar
generous sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper

Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and cider vinegar with a whisk in a large bowl until smooth.  Mix in the broccoli, bacon, and cheese.  Cover and chill for at least 4 hours; overnight is even better.  Serves 16-20.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my most favorite summer salads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! It's a family favorite when we get the sisters together. My kids won't eat it, though. Their loss - more for us!

    ReplyDelete