Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shooting His Mouth Off


This expression, "Shooting his mouth off," is so apropos for our son.  Safety Guy just doesn't know when to stop talking and back down.  This has been probably the biggest source of his issues in school, both in antagonizing peers and in responding to bullying.  It also makes him at times very confrontational with authority figures - with his teachers and Scout Master occasionally, and with his parents quite often.  Today has been one of those days.  I know part of his behavior is his age; part is his personality; and part is Aspergers.  But, it's ALL STINKIN' ANNOYING.  God help me, Safety Guy is making me crazy today.

My project this afternoon (aside from the normal round of cleaning house and herding laundry) is to make a "cheat sheet" for Safety Guy's new teachers and his guidance counselor.  I did this last year, and it was very helpful for the staff getting to know him.  It's a simple document, a couple pages long, listing some basic things that we think his school staff ought to know about him that you can't get from last year's report cards:  his special interests, his social limitations and issues, things that trigger his anxiety, calming techniques for when he's upset or anxious, the overt behaviors he's most likely to show when he's upset, the subtler signs that he's getting upset or overstimulated, and anything else I think they ought to know to help our son have a successful school year.

I guess channeling my aggravation this way is better than telling my son to stop being such a know-it-all, back-talking, annoying dork of a 12 year old.  ;-)   I'm trying to see the humor in the situation, and thinking of the classic Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon, and the running gag "Duck season! Wabbit season!"


No comments:

Post a Comment