Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Interviewing, Funnies, and Blessings

I had my second interview with BOCES today, and it went very well.  They want me on their sub list - I just have to go get fingerprinted and have my prints run through the state and federal criminal registries to make sure I'm not hiding anything nasty.  (Nope, nothing to hide, so no worries.)  By the time the prints get processed I might be ready to jump back into the classroom again.  I've never done day-to-day subbing before.  My previous sub positions were all long-term (from three months to a full school year), so I expect to have a steep learning curve bouncing from class to class.  Add in that I'll be on the sub lists for two districts (BOCES and my kids' home district) and K-12 and Special Ed (including high school classes for kids with behavioral issues), and I'm sure that no two days will EVER be the same.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to it - I can do the job, and leave it there when I go home, no strings attached.  I could get to like that.

My kids have been full of fun the past couple days, in pretty good moods and quick to make snappy comebacks and ask interesting questions.  Like Safety Guy, who told me today that he saw something really gross at school.  I asked him if it was something I'd want to hear while eating (I was enjoying dinner), and he said, "I saw two kids KISSING in the hallway!!"  I was glad to hear that he's still grossed out by PDA.  I'm in trouble when he gets curious about it.  Or last week, when Safety Guy told me, as he dragged his tired self down the stairs one morning before school, "I feel like a zombie dipped in glue."

And here's a blessing, and I can't call it small, because anyone with a child who has sensory issues and/or autism issues will realize just what a big deal this is to me.   Here's the back story:  Safety Guy  has always had difficulty going to the dentist, because of his serious gag reflex and sensory and anxiety issues.  Our dentist and hygienist, before we moved, were wonderful with him, but it took them years to get him to the point of comfort just for routine cleaning.  Orthodontics (just on his top teeth, with a different dentist) were very difficult.  The first orthodontist did okay with him, but midway through Safety Guy's treatment the doctor sold his practice and retired.  The new orthodontist didn't have any patience for Safety Guy at all, and none of us were happy.  This situation came up while I was having my own health issues, and during my husband's new job half a state away before the move (so I was flying solo as a parent).  The orthodontist rather abruptly ended Safety Guy's treatment after a particularly difficult appointment (to remove his braces, which they didn't warn us about ahead of time), and I was so fed up I didn't push back on him for his lack of professionalism and courtesy.  I just wanted to be DONE.  So we moved, and found a new dentist for routine cleaning.  They're really nice, but Safety Guy just didn't "take" to them, and it was miserable getting his teeth cleaned and x-rayed over a year ago.

In the meantime, we had Princess Yakyak go to a pediatric dental/orthodontic practice, because a) she's a terrible squiggle in the dental chair and used to need nitrous to hold still long enough to get anything done, and b) she needed braces, and started the process with an arch expander earlier this year.  I love her dentist - he's really wonderful, and so are all of his staff.  Not only that, this dental practice serves people of all ages with special needs.   Over the summer I decided to switch Safety Guy to that practice and see if that would work better for him. 

Today the pediatric dentist's staff called to confirm the transfer of records and the appointment we have set up for next week.  I had indicated on the forms that our son has Aspergers and that he would be anxious about the cleaning.  The lady who called me was wonderful, and asked me what they could do to try to help SG be more comfortable with his first visit with them.  She asked if there were any special concerns we had, dental issues we should bring up, or things they could do to distract him if he became anxious.   And, she told me that her own son has an autism spectrum disorder.  She GOT IT.   The whole practice seems to GET IT.   I am so relieved, and very encouraged.  I'm hopeful that next week's appointment will be a good one for Safety Guy.  But I've already been blessed.  Thank you, Lord, for people who UNDERSTAND how difficult "simple" things like this can be for our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment