Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rain, Memories, and Anticipation

We're marinating in the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee, which has brought sustained heavy rain to Central New York, on top of the rain we had last week courtesy of Hurricane Irene.  The ground is saturated, and the water is overflowing everywhere.  Where we are, it's comparatively minor - isolated creeks at flood stage, water on some low-lying roads, but nothing serious.  Our old home, however, is under the gun for major flooding - again.

I'm a bit unnerved about the flooding in the Binghamton area, and I'm a little surprised.  After all, it's been five years since we went through major flooding there.  I posted about it last year, here.  I'm distressed to see my friends and neighbors facing the same hazards, the same emotional toll, the same damage and the same recovery process.  Seeing their comments and photos on Facebook is stressful.  I've been forcefully moved to pray for their safety, especially since reading on FB this morning that a friend's son was in an auto accident yesterday because of the rain near our old home - he hydroplaned and slammed into a parked car.  Thankfully, he's okay (just shaken and sore), but the car is totaled.  I'll have to make an effort not to hover over the news and FB updates this evening.

On a positive note, the kids have handled the rainy, cooped-up day quite well.  Princess Yakyak kept me company while I did groceries, and Safety Guy has had a friend over for the past couple hours.  He and his friend will share most of their classes, and I'm glad to see them reaching out to each other outside of school.  They've been bouncing between video game systems, and I've heard lots of happy guy noises.  It's a good thing.

Both kids are excited/nervous about school starting tomorrow.  I hope and pray that their first days go smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. The flooding is bad, but thankfully it's all 'stuff'. Lives cannot be replaced. My sister was faced with that this morning when she was getting ready for work and went dowstairs to get the laundry from the dryer and it was floating in her basement in 3 feet of water...along with everything else down there. :/ Prayers that lives are not lost and that the water recedes.

    I hope PYY and SG kids have a great first day back, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that your sister is dealing with that. What a mess - but you're right, "stuff" can be replaced or repaired, but lives cannot. So far, no deaths have been reported in the Binghamton area, but sadly several deaths have been reported downstream in Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete