Sunday, May 20, 2012

Long Time No See

It's been quite a while since I've posted - I kind of got run over by life the past couple weeks.  I caught the super-cold that's been going around up here almost three weeks ago, and that knocked me for a loop.  I'm still slogging through the last remnants of that experience (still coughing).  I took a day off of subbing, but I've been pretty busy working aside from that, 3-4 days a week.

Last week was a miserable week for subbing.  One day for one class (pretty good), and three days with another class (jr. high, six periods per day - most of them pretty miserable).  I wanted to tell the school I couldn't do the last two days after the first one was such a pain.  I should have listened to my gut instinct, because it didn't get any better - it got worse.  Days like that make me wonder why on earth I do this job.  But at the end of all the drama, another teacher made a point of telling me that her daughter had me as a sub in AP History, and thought I was the best sub she'd ever had for that class.  That was nice of her to pass that encouragement on to me.

(Last week was a real train wreck of the good, the annoying, and the ugly - subbing follies, broken washer AND dryer with two visits for repairs, soccer practices and game,  PYY's first band concert, Boy Scouts, my own exercise class. . . .)

So I'm trying to regroup and gear up for another week of subbing - with some of the same kids as last week, although in a different subject.  I think this week will be better, though.  And at the end of it, a four day weekend for the Memorial Day holiday.  We might be going to visit my parents for a couple nights, which would be wonderful.  We haven't been down there in a while, and we always enjoy spending time with them.

To deal with some of the emotional upheaval lately, I've been spending a lot of time in the garden.  I've gotten a lot done the past couple weeks, in spite of my ongoing cold and crazy schedule.  I've done lots and lots of weeding, planting veggies and annuals, transplanting some perennials, mulching various things, mowing and trimming - it's been very therapeutic.  And, I finally put up my hummingbird feeder last night, and had hummers at it today, so that really made me happy.

I'll put up pictures of my gardening adventures later this week.  I've got some lovely things in bloom:  tall bearded irises, oriental poppies, lupines, alliums and cosmos are all very happy with the warmth and moisture we've had recently.

Have a lovely week, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Laurel- My heart loves flowers and I wish I could plant some but my hands are terribly flared with psoriasis and I have a tendency to kill anything green -- except weeds which grow prolifically. :0) If I had a budget for landscaping/a gardner how would I go about finding someone?

    I subbed last week too. I don't sub alot and I'm very picky about the jobs I take - for reasons I won't expound on here. I am getting tired of subbing and pretty soon my initial certification will be going away because I don't have enough teaching time to keep it AND I still have to courses to take to finish my Master's Degree but I'm not doing that because I don't have enough teaching time and my certification will expire anyway. LOL. Plan on still subbing after it goes away or finding something else to work on. Keep it up. I love that you are brave enough to sub in the High school too. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why blogging took a back seat.

    Gardening is the cheapest therapy I've ever found! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Blondee - I used to tell my husband that gardening was cheaper than professional therapy, but he no longer believes that (from long experience).

    Karen, I'd contact the Cornell Cooperative Extension nearest you for names or business suggestions. I don't know any regular businesses personally to suggest, but the CCE might be able to put you in touch with someone who does gardening as a side business, someone who's been part of their Master Gardener program. I'm still nerving myself up for subbing today - fortunately it's a teacher and class I'm very familiar with. I'm just completely unmotivated to sub this week. Gee, I wonder why. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have vanished, again!
    Hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete