Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Summer-ish Day, Summer Recipe

We're having heat wave in CNY today - it hit 70 officially at the airport in Syracuse!  It was sunny, too, which was a nice change from the grayness of the past few days.  I spent the day enjoying wearing flip-flops and short sleeves, pulling weeds in the garden, and generally doing house stuff.  I was supposed to be subbing, but the Princess woke up under the weather today (headache, nausea, general ick), so I called in and kept her home.  She was back to mostly normal by the afternoon, so thankfully it wasn't the full-blown flu that's been making the rounds of the school.  Maybe the flumist really did help.

Fun with Photobooth and the Princess, a couple years ago.

I don't have a picture, but I kitbashed a recipe yesterday that I really liked once it was done, so I thought I'd share it with you.  It's a Mexican pasta salad - a little spicy, and quite tasty.  We're having it tonight with indoor "barbecued" chicken to have a taste of summer.


Mexican Pasta Salad

1 16 oz. box of pasta (I used rotelle pasta - a.k.a. "wagon wheels")
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red pepper, diced
1 small bunch of scallions, sliced fine (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a combo of mild and sharp cheeses)
3/4 cup Kraft Chipotle Mayo
3/4 cup lite regular mayonaise
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder (more if you want more kick)
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika

Cook the pasta until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water until pasta is cool.  In a large bowl combine the two mayos and mix well.  Stir in the black beans, scallions, red pepper and cheese.  Mix in the pasta and stir to coat.  Refrigerate until serving.  You can sprinkle additional cheese on top prior to serving.  It has a little kick, but not too hot - a good spicy-cool combination with nice textures.


No comments:

Post a Comment