Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Stuck in the Middle

I'm realizing all over again that long-term subbing can be a very tricky minefield to negotiate. 

I'm "in charge" of a classroom but I'm not a permanent employee, so I have precious little legal protection even with all of my responsibilities for curriculum, discipline, grades, IEPs and progress reports. 

I'm making the decisions for a classroom while waiting for the "real" teacher to return, so I can't stray much from their established routine, whether or not I agree with it.  The open-ended nature of the teacher's medical leave is the issue, since no one knows when she can return.  It could be weeks, months, or to the end of the school year.  Hello, limbo.

I'm getting caught between the existing classroom staff and the school psychologist and counselor over a student behavioral issue.  (I'm caught between, "This is how it's been done for years by Mrs. X," and "We need to do something different here and it can't wait.")  I'm going to err on the side of the psychologist's recommendations.  After all, they're REALLY in charge in this situation since it will be a formal behavior plan.  We'll see how that goes over with the classroom staff - they're pretty wonderful, but it's still a three-way tug-of-war over who's "right" and who's "responsible" and the elephant in the room, "What will the returning teacher say when she gets back and finds her classroom discipline plan has been seriously revised?"

Phooey.  I'd rather go play in my garden than think about all this (as I was doing for much of the day, while teaching).

I think I'll go do some winter sowing. . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment