Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Calm the Seas

The Princess with my Bad Cat.  

Here's an update on the situation with Safety Guy from last week:

We kept him out of school for three days (Thursday/Friday last week and Monday), and he got a bonus snow day off on Tuesday.  It took a few days, but the med adjustment seems to be helping.  By the end of the weekend we could see that he was a bit calmer, more so than just the time off would account for when compared to his behavior over the past couple months.  The pediatrician upped his med dose again on Monday, to a maintenance level still in the mid-range of the dosage for that med.  Safety Guy is a BIG GUY, so it's no wonder the initial dosage of the med he was on had ceased to be effective as he grew.  Parent guilt alert:  I wish we'd addressed this months ago.  Hindsight is 20/20.

By Tuesday, I could really tell the med was helping.  SG and the Princess were interacting better than they had in months.  The Princess could tease, and SG wouldn't fly off the handle - he'd take it and tease back, appropriately.  They were watching TV together ("Top Gear" - I find it really amusing that SG got her to like that show), with no conflict, just good-natured enjoyment.  And then the real test came:  the Princess got snippy and snotty when I called her on a poor choice.  At that point recently SG would interject something and the Princess would yell at him or say something rude and he'd go ballistic.  This time, he heard the whole exchange and SAID NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.

Oh my goodness, I was so happy about that, I can hardly describe it.  The absence of friction, the ability to not get involved, the decision to keep out of it on his part - GOLDEN.  No, DIAMOND, with platinum accents.  I was that thrilled.  

Today Safety Guy was back in school, in ISS (one left over from the meltdowns last week).  Now, I know, it doesn't seem right for him to be punished for what he wasn't totally in control of.  However, we agreed that he needed the consequence for the behavior, AND the ISS is really more like "time out" for him, quiet and with 1:1 from the teacher in charge.  SG returned to a quiet day, with a chance to catch up on missed work.  It was not a bad thing.  Tomorrow he'll be back to the real world, among his friends and classmates.  THAT will be the test.  

A couple of the kids in his class have asked me about SG.  I just told them he was not feeling well.  I had a talk with SG about what he should share about the past week.  I told  him that he should be careful what he said, since some kids would not use the information wisely and he could open himself up for teasing.  But, I also said that a number of his friends take meds for various issues, and that there was no shame in saying something about that if he chose to. 

That's where we are now:  hopeful, and wondering how the next couple weeks before spring break will go.

Also, I finally have a tentative end date for this sub job, on May 1st.  I'll be glad to hand this class back to their original teacher.  I'm glad she's feeling better, and I'm ready to take a break from the full-time routine.  Just having an end date in sight makes this job easier for me.  We'll see what the fall holds as far as full-time job opportunities.  For now, I'll enjoy the higher pay, which will allow us to replace one old car with a newer used car, and take a couple family trips this spring and summer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear this update. I'll remember SG in prayer tomorrow as he goes back to the normal routine. (p.s., BELIEVE ME, I understand parent guilt -- working that out big time with one of my kids right now....) Grace and peace to us, yes?