Sunday, April 21, 2013

Anticipating Sorrow



I think one of the few things sadder than losing a pet is KNOWING that you're going to lose a pet and anticipating it.  Our oldest cat, B.C. (Bad Cat) is almost 18, and has been in poor health for quite a while.  We're down to the end  of his life (the vet estimated he had a couple weeks to live over a week ago), and I think I'll have to schedule the appointment for this Tuesday.  I just want to cry writing that.  I love all of our pets, especially our cats, but B.C. has always been special.  I've been hoping that he'd peacefully pass in his sleep, but I don't think that's going to happen.  I hate anticipating this sorrow.  B.C. has been our friend for almost 17 years of his life (and I find it hard to imagine our lives without him; the kids don't know a time without him).  I still occasionally look for Sophia in the laundry basket.  I don't think it will be any easier with B.C.



B.C. sleeping in his favorite chair around Christmas time 2012.



He's the most patient cat EVER.  
He lets SG and I hold him like a baby all the time.



Bad Cat with the Princess in February.



His favorite spots, all three together:  his chair, my lap, and a sunbeam.
One of my favorite things to do too. . . .



2 comments:

  1. I understand, as we just walked this 21 days ago with our dog.
    Prayers and love, friend. It's a huge loss. May BC find peace and comfort, and may you find the very same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know your family just lost a beloved friend in G's dog C. It never gets any easier, no matter how many pets you own over the years.

      Delete