Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We've Got The Gleeks

(Image from www.alephbet.com)

We've got the gleeks.  If you don't recognize that ailment, don't worry - it's just a figment of Dr. Seuss' imagination.  But it's been an expression in our family since I was little.  It's from the book, "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew."  Any icky ailment or general under-the-weather-ness among us is likely to be called the gleeks at some point.  And boy, we've got them.

Safety Guy has strep throat.  He wasn't feeling well starting Sunday, and stayed home from school Monday. Tuesday he went to school, but his teacher called and said he was dragging and had a sore throat, so I picked him up before lunch.  Today I kept him home and took him to the doctor.  Yep, strep, no doubt about it.  Now, nine hours later, my own throat is getting sore in the tonsil/lymph node area, and I can see it coming like a light at the end of the tunnel (of the oncoming train variety).  I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow, and saying, "Look, I don't care if you strep test me or not, the odds are I've got strep."  I'm just hoping that Tech Guy and the Princess can dodge this bug.

We have been planning a weekend visit to see both sets of our parents, but if I do have strep, we won't be going.  We like family togetherness, but we draw the line at contagious germs.  That would stink to not be able to see our mothers for Mother's Day, but we'll go another weekend.  They know we love them, and we can best show that by NOT sharing strep with everyone. . . .

So, we've got the gleeks.  Maybe I'll go reread that Dr. Seuss book, one of my all-time childhood favorites.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, no. Praying this leaves as quickly as it came!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally adding that phrase to our family's vocabulary. Love it. Sorry you're not feeling well -- rest lots!

    ReplyDelete