Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mental Space


The front of the house yesterday.  The daylilies are in full swing now.

Introvert that I am, I'm really enjoying a (VERY) rare weekend by myself.  I have to say, it's been the most relaxing time I've had in I don't know how long, and it was way overdue.  The kids are off spending time with family, and I hope they're having fun.  I'm sure I'll hear all about it tomorrow when I go pick them up. It's been nice to have time just to suit myself, and be on my own schedule (or lack thereof).

I've been busy with plenty of mundane stuff, like mowing the lawn, which I did over two evenings - it's a lot of lawn to do with a push mower, and while I like the exercise, I'm not a fan of heat stroke, so I always do it in two chunks when the weather is warm.  Since it's supposed to be in the high 80s/low 90s all week, I figured I'd better get that chore done while it was in the high 70s so I could safely ignore the lawn for the week.  I also took pictures around the yard, daylilies and other stuff, because it's been SUNNY for more than two days in a row.  What a concept!


I spent three hours at the mechanic this morning, getting work on done on the van's brakes, which went kerflooey yesterday.  (Or rather, went from grabbing a little to full-out grinding and assorted other unpleasant noises in the space of a few minutes.)  It's not how I wanted to spend my Saturday morning, but I'm grateful for good mechanics, a pleasant place to wait for the repair, for the nearby Dunkin' Donuts to get breakfast and coffee while I waited, and for the means to do the repair right away.

I took care of the menagerie - fed the fish, cats, guinea pigs and the lizard.  I love our critters.  Cici has been my shadow all weekend, including appearing on the bed as soon as I wake up - whenever that is, middle of the night, crack of dawn, whatever.  She's a little klepto, and has taken to stealing small items from the kids' bedrooms during the night and bringing them into my bedroom.  Balls, rolled up socks, small stuffed animals, and pieces of Lego have all appeared on my floor in the night.

Cici giving me the "inscrutable lioness" look.

There was fun to be had this weekend, too.  I enjoyed a "wine and candle party" next door with a bunch of neighbors, where a representative from Gold Canyon Candles shared her fragrant wares.  In the end I bought a candle that smells like the desert around Sedona, Arizona (it really does - I've been there, good memories), and a box of tealights in a fragrance called jasmine lime citronella (tropical and fresh, but not cloying).  I enjoy candles, but I'm hyper-picky about fragrances, since many give me a headache. My neighbor had homemade baklava (delicious!) and a white moscato wine I'd never had before (it was very good).

Another seedling.  My camera doesn't do well with reds, 
and in spite of my tinkering this picture doesn't capture its real color.
In real life this flower is dark, rich,hot blood red 
with a darker black-red eye.  It really needs a good name.

I went to a movie - Despicable Me 2, which right there tells you that even without the kids, I'm still a kid at heart sometimes.  It was a fun piece of fluff for a matinee, but not as good as the original.

I also had a lot of fun going to an antique mall not too far from here.  It was in a big barn, on two floors, with over 50 vendors, and I looked at EVERYTHING, at my leisure, which was tremendously relaxing.  I'll have to tell my parents about it - they'd enjoy looking around there.

So, Laurel's Grand Day Out/Excellent Weekend In was a mix of practical, quiet and fun.  I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm very grateful to my family that enabled me to have some time to just relax and rediscover what it's like to be on my own.  But I miss the kids, and I'll be glad when they're home tomorrow night.  It's been quiet here. (Notice I didn't say TOO quiet.  I like quiet.  It can't BE too quiet for me.  But I still miss the kids!)


1 comment:

  1. Oh, a weekend alone is bliss! I smiled when I read that you looked at everything in the antiques store. That's exactly the way I like to wander through those stores, too. Almost impossible to do unless you are alone.
    Love to you, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete