Wednesday, December 11, 2013

IEP and Simple Things




This is Lucy, one of our guinea pig girls.  Her eyes really are pink.  
And, she's also visually impaired, although you'd never know it to look at her 
and it's not related to her eye color.  
She loves Safety Guy, who gives the girls baby carrots every night.  
She gets up on her hind legs and gives him whisker kisses - very cute.

Tomorrow is Safety Guy's triennial reevaluation meeting for his IEP.  He's going to be participating in the meeting for the first time, since he's a freshman.  I want  him to have a say in what's decided regarding his education, and I'd like him to be able to see everyone working together for his best interests.  He still struggles in school socially, and sometimes the increased high school work load is hard for him, but he's doing his best and growing in maturity.  

When his primary resource teacher asked what I wanted out of this  meeting, I asked for more help for him in dealing with his social stress and anxiety in school.  That seems to be a root issue that leads to further verbal acting out and poor choices in what he says to others.  If we can address the anxiety and stress, he'll be less likely to take his negative emotions out on others.  He's gotten better at "owning" his actions, but I'd like to see him also have the support he needs to head off issues before they blow up on him.  I want the school to be more proactive than reactive.  We've got to get ahead of this cycle of stress and reaction, or the rest of his year will be very difficult.  Frankly, I don't think any of us want a repeat of last spring's difficulties, least of all Safety Guy.

On a happy note, a couple students invited SG to sit with them at lunch on Monday, and he enjoyed sharing pictures and videos from his iPod with them.  It's a small thing, but really, it's a big thing - casual friendship, common kindness, simple fun.  I am so happy that he had that bright spot in his day, and I hope it's the first of many more.

2 comments:

  1. Glad some kids are inviting him to sit with them. A little kindness can go such a long way.

    Good luck with the meeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it goes well. I'm not sure what to expect, but there's no massive axe to grind issues going on at the moment. I'm hoping for thoughtful discussion, encouragement, and positive changes to his IEP. Hey, dream big, I guess!

      Delete