Monday, February 10, 2014

Winter Olympic Projects

My parents' quilt, pinned and ready to quilt.  I'll bind it in the dark gold fabric.

It seems that I tend to do a sewing project during each Winter Olympic Season.  It's just a good time to spend evenings in front of the TV, stitching.  I've done other quilting projects, and teddy bears.  One year it was a large vase as my first ever special order (although now that I think about it, that was a Summer Olympics - I remember watching a lot of swimming).  Anyhow, I'm working on my parents' quilt, which is good timing.  Their birthdays are in three weeks, and I should have it done by then.  The Winter Olympics at Sochi go for another two weeks, so it's working out fine.  If I get bored with the Olympics (or should I say, with NBC's coverage of it, since I don't have cable or satellite TV), I'll switch to Netflix.  Lots of options there.

No word yet on the long-term sub job I applied for last week, but I'll keep hoping.  I'm already booked for daily subbing this week (four days of 7th grade resource), although lake effect snow may take a day out of that.  Next week is winter break, and I'll have to find ways to keep the kids busy.  The Princess is easy - I'm going to arrange an extra riding lesson, and she has a 4H activity at an equine rehabilitation center one afternoon, and she'd like to just spend an extra day at the stable helping with chores.  Safety Guy is harder - he likes to go out every day, no matter what.  I don't like to manufacture outings, so he might get tag-along outings when I drop his sister off for other stuff.

I'm also planning on painting the Princess' bedroom - another "getting ready to move" project.  There are a handful of those, and if she's going to be out and we're off school, it's a good time for that.  The kids' bathroom could also use a fresh coat.  Always something to do.  We'd like to have the house ready to show to a realtor by the end of February.

I'm also slightly (okay, more than slightly) obsessed with picking out fabrics for a quilt class I'm going to take at the end of March, a quick one-evening project using charm squares.  I've found some wonderful Japanese/modern fabrics in turquoise, white, gray and orange.  I've edited my list of fabrics a dozen times now.  (I think it's an avoidance mechanism - easier to dwell on that than certain other things.)  Thankfully, I've got someone interested in purchasing a larger painting from my shop, and that will pay for the fabric I want.  I'm going to have to start using stuff from my growing fabric stash for smaller wall hanging projects to put in my Etsy shop.  I don't think my family will want quilted gifts for the next 5 years!

A winter week in the life, and I'm in a better mood than I have been for a while.  It would be nice if this lasted for a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! Just wanted to make a point to stop and let you know that you are loved and your friendship is appreciated.
    The quilt fabrics are just lovely, cannot wait to see the finished product. Please let me know how your Mom is doing. She is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete